This post may contain affiliate links.
Epcot’s World Showcase is made up of 11 country pavilions. In each country, you’ll find authentic architecture, landmarks, historical references, food, and people. Each country’s pavilion is staffed by people who are actually from the country.
As you approach the Mexico pavilion you’ll immediately see the large pyramid. It is modeled after an Aztec Temple of Quetzalcoatl (the Aztec god of life) at Teotihuacan. Quetzalcoatl is represented by large serpent heads along the entrance stairs.
Inside the pyramid, after passing various artifacts from Mexico’s history, you’ll find yourself in an open-air marketplace at night. Walk through the market, and you can ride the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros. It’s a gentle boat ride featuring characters from Disney’s 1944 movie ‘The Three Caballeros’.
The Mexico Pavilion and your Homeschool
Who say so? We say so!
Watching Disney’s Coco would be another fun activity to do before visiting.
Try some Mexican recipes, like these chicken taquitos.
The following ideas will work for your study of any of the countries in Epcot’s World Showcase:
- Create a Power Point on one of the countries and present it.
- Plan a menu from your favorite country and prepare it. (If you have a World Market store near you, check out their International foods section).
- Pick a country you’d like to visit and plan a pretend trip there. Where would you visit? What would you do?
- Create a ‘scrapbook’ of your fictional trip to the country.
- Write a report on historical events that happened in one of the countries.
- Study the original buildings and landmarks represented in each pavilion.
- Learn a few words in the native language of each country.
- Find and listen to music from the countries.
- Make a shoebox diorama of a famous place in one of the countries.
- Watch a documentary on each country.
Also, check out the Kidcot Fun Stops in each pavilion of the World Showcase where kids can collect stamps and create a craft.
Check out this free printable world geography pack.
Online Resources for Studying Mexico
You may choose to do an in depth geography curriculum in preparation for your visit.
Create a lapbook using these free templates.
Resources for learning about Mexico – This page has lots of links to online resources for your Mexico country study.
Mexico Unit Study – Get some free printables and ideas for teaching a Mexico unit study here.